Electric Hummers and Cybertrucks, as well as the next generation of S.U.V.s, will signal the arrival of the E.V. era in America if they start to sell in big numbers.
brad plumerWhy automakers are so interested in electric SUVs/trucks: "There’s a massive amount of profit built into the average truck. And you can hide and absorb the cost of these batteries much easier in a $50,000-to-$70,000 S.U.V. than a $20,000 economy car."
Trees take up a lot of CO2, so one approach to reducing the rate of increase in atmospheric CO2 levels is to reduce the cutting down of trees. Jayachandran et al. evaluated a program in which forest owners in Uganda were paid to not cut down their...
brad plumer@jgkoomey@daveregrets in the first case total RF would be a bit lower over the decade, but committed peak warming would be the same. there's definitely some value in delaying emissions although it's pretty small. this paper had a discussion of that from the econ side, iirc
An “unprecedented” fall in fossil fuel use, driven by the Covid-19 crisis, is likely to lead to a nearly 8 percent drop, according to new research.
brad plumerNew IEA report projects that global emissions will fall nearly 8% this year — by far the biggest decline on record.
One surprise: Even as coal, oil, and gas use have all fallen this year, global renewable demand has actually *increased* slightly
Coronavirus-hit Lombardy city will turn 35km of streets over to cyclists and pedestrians
brad plumerMilan is hoping to fend off a huge surge in car use as the city comes out of lockdown and people avoid public transit.
So they're planning ahead — lower speed limits, new cycle lanes, widened pavements and priority streets for pedestrians/cyclists.
The federal government will spend $1.7 billion to help clean up orphaned and abandoned oil and gas wells in Alberta, Saskatchewan and B.C.
brad plumerMeanwhile, Canada just announced $1.7 billion for cleaning up ~150,000 inactive/abandoned wells across the country as a way of creating jobs in oil regions: cbc.ca/news/canada/ca…
Also $750 million for programs to reduce methane. That's certainly one way to do an oil bailout…
Dwindling supplies of carbon dioxide from ethanol plants are sparking concern about shortages of beer, soda and seltzer water - essentials for many quarantined Americans.
brad plumerHuh. Ethanol plants are a big supplier of CO2 for the food industry — used to make beer/soda fizz or as a refrigerant for meat. But now that vehicle fuel demand has cratered, more ethanol plants are idling, which is dwindling those supplies of CO2
For city dwellers who would love an E.V., the biggest hurdle might be keeping it juiced up without a garage or other convenient charging stations.
brad plumerAbout 60% of Americans live in homes that could support a personal electric-vehicle charger. But what about the other 40%? A good look here at why charging infrastructure is still a barrier for people living in apartments, denser cities, etc
It’s an enormous task, but a rough game plan for solving climate change exists.
brad plumerMy contribution was, uh, 600 words on how to decarbonize the entire global economy. It's maaaybe a teeny bit oversimplified, but I tried to do a basic rundown of common themes that emerge in the countless proposals out there on how to zero out emissions