Political Incorrect Paper of the Day: Food Deserts
"The Whole Foods class think their kale and kombucha are so obviously superior to what the poor eat that the only possible explanation is that poor people are denied choice."
Exposing poor to same food retail as affluent would cut nutritional inequality by only 9%, "remaining 91% driven by differences in demand"
Some assorted thoughts on the fascinating “food deserts” papers ( and see also 1/
. summarizes a major paper rebutting the "food desert" hypothesis for obesity
Why do the poor tend to eat less healthfully than the wealthy in the U.S.? mostly because they prefer to eat less healthy food (and not because of prices, income or availability - "food deserts"), according to new research
Nice post by on food deserts. Maybe the solution is bringing food/cooking into the school curriculum? They are just as important a life skill as typing. In any case, this is right. Blaming food deserts is confusing the effect for the cause.
Conservative economist Alex Tabarrok: Marie Antoinette as right, the poor like cake!
Enjoyed 's take on food deserts but also glad that Allcott et al focused some of their considerable firepower on the topic
Politically Incorrect Paper of the Day: "The 'food desert hypothesis' does not appear to explain why the wealthy eat more healthfully than the poor." Original Article:
"Food deserts" are probably a myth. People eat badly mainly because they choose to. To me, this is an argument for more paternalism. Teach people to eat healthier.
The claim that “food deserts” explain obesity is nonsense.
Allcott, Diamond, and Dubé show that relative to unhealthy food, healthy food is actually a bit cheaper in low-income areas.
Food deserts: "..when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to eat dull wholesome food." Snip from extended Orwell quote, in response to study showing food deserts are driven by demand. ..
This is one of those cases where sociologists like have been doing research on this for years but it only gets attention when an economist says it.