Turkish sources said police found Le Mesurier's body outside of his home in Istanbul
Ragıp SoyluLe Mesurier’s house was only accessible by fingerprints
• His wife says they went to bed together. And was woken up by door bell rang by police
• She went and saw that the window was open, the body on the ground
• No one else in security footage
Turkey and Qatar are strategic partners. Since 2015, the two countries have taken their political, economic and military relations to the next level. Qatar...
Ragıp SoyluNEW — Harsh editorial by Turkish govt aligned Daily Sabah against Al Jazeera
“The Turkey-Qatar partnership's future is at stake. Until the network takes necessary steps, the Turkish government must consider Al Jazeera English a hostile outlet.”
Halt in fighting within five days would allow Kurdish fighters to withdraw beyond a designated safe zone
Ragıp SoyluMy two cents:
With this deal, Erdogan got what he wanted from Syrian Kurdish YPG/SDF.
Erdogan LITERALLY PROPOSED this week that only deal he would accept was YPG leaving heavy weapons and withdraw its troops from the safe zone.
HE GOT IT
Non-committal on the phone, the US president surprised even Turkish officials with his public support for Ankara's assault into Kurdish-held territory
Ragıp SoyluYou think Trump shocked Pentagon, State Department and US Congress by pulling out from parts of Northern Syria?
TURKS WERE ALSO SURPRISED by the White House readout, because Trump didn’t tell Erdogan in the call that he was going to withdraw
Ragıp SoyluAnkara would wait about a week for US forces to fully pull out from the area before launching its offensive in Syria, senior Turkish official told MEE.
“But if we see a risk, there would be an intervention [before then],” the official said
Turkey's prosecutor's office says Zaki Hasan, a Palestinian agent allegedly working for the Emiratis, apparently committed suicide
Ragıp SoyluSuspected UAE spy dies in Turkish prison:
• Zaki Hasan, a Palestinian, retired general from Palestinian intel.
• Was accused of gathering info on PLO, Hamas and Muslim Brotherhood individuals/companies
• An associate of Dahlan?
U.S. Embassy Ankara Ankara, Turkey November 6, 2018 Over the past two days I have been very pleased to have my first visit to Ankara since assuming my position as U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs. During...
If the Syrian regime attacks Idlib, the result will be a humanitarian and geopolitical disaster.
Ragıp SoyluErdogan writes for @WSJ on Idlib:
• Idlib is last exit before the toll
• US should stop using hierarchy of death; conventional weapons kill more people than chemicals
• Instead of Assad massacre, a counterterrorism op needed in Idlib
President Bashar al-Assad’s forces are about to attack Idlib, the last rebel-held province in Syria. Fear of mass slaughter is increasing.
Ragıp Soylu“Arab fairy tales start with a line: Kan ya ma kan. It was, or it wasn’t. The myth is yours to believe in or to deny.
Kan ya ma kan, there was an international community.
Kan ya ma kan, there were values of justice and decency.”
By @kshaheen on Syria
During his meeting with French Minister Le Maire, Treasury and Finance Minister Albayrak warned that the U.S. was isolating itself from its allies and that Turkey and France have decided to act jointly against U.S. unilateralism
Ragıp SoyluTurkish Finance Minister Berat Albayrak visited Paris today, after a meeting his French counterpart, he said Turkey and France agreed to act together against Trump tariffs and Iran sanctions
Unilateral actions against Turkey by the United States will undermine American interests and force Turkey to look for other friends and allies.
Ragıp SoyluTurkish President Erdogan writes for NYT about recent Brunson crisis with Trump
“Unilateral actions against Turkey by the United States will undermine American interests and force Turkey to look for other friends and allies”
The U.S. failed to secure assurances from Turkey to immediately free an American pastor held for nearly two years on disputed terrorism charges, U.S. officials said, deepening a crisis between the two countries.
Ragıp SoyluUS officials tell @DionNissenbaum that talks with Turkish delegation visiting Washington didn’t go down well. Turks refused to provide assurances to immediately free Brunson.
US officials warn that more sanctions might be on the way
Many Washington-based Turkey observers, including former American officials, tend to tie the recent crisis between Washington and Ankara to complicated...
Ragıp SoyluMain reasons of Brunson crisis between Erdoğan/Trump:
• They struck a verbal deal while walking around at NATO summit through an interpreter. No written material to back what was agreed
• Too many channels negotiate, and create confusion
After months of negotiations on the release of Pastor Andrew Brunson, an American who was held in a Turkish prison on terrorism charges since 2016, U.S....
• Turkish officials tell me Pompeo and Cavusoglu/Fidan had a swap deal for Brunson, in return of ex-Halkbank executive Atilla and no more prosecution against the Bank
• Plan was okay until Pence convinced Trump for Evangelist card
U.S. President Donald Trump says he likes to strike deals; and when it comes to Turkey, there are a lot of areas where he can make one, including Turkey's...
Ragıp SoyluTurkey made Washington an offer on S-400
• Turkish tehnicians will run S-400s in 19mo, Russians won’t be in Turkey
• Americans invited to provide consultancy to protect NATO installations
• Pentagon is already running a technical analysis on S-400